The steam engines of type BR 14.1 of the Deutsche Reichsbahn Gesellschaft existed actually of three types of locomotives. The P3 and the P4 of the Pfälzischen Eisenbahnen and the S 2/5 of the Bavarian railways. All three steam engines were four cylinder locomotives with an 2'B1' axle layout.
To the very good German locomotive constructions belonged the 2'B1' steam engines which Krauss made between 1898 and 1900 for the Pfälzischen Eisenbahnen. The locomotives had driving wheels with inner cylinders. The locomotives were indicated as P3. In 1913 all 12 locomotives were transformed to four-cylinder steam engines. The inner cylinders remained on their place and became high pressure cylinders. The new low pressure cylinders were placed between the bogie axles.
After the bad experiences with the P3 of Pfälzischen Eisenbahnen, the Pfälzischen Eisenbahnen ordered six express train steam engines by Maffei. These steam engines were derived from the Baden IId. The steam engines were delivered in 1905. The locomotives were equiped with a smokebox superheater of type Pielock, but this superheater was not satisfying. Striking is that at the second delivery in 1906, the Pielock superheater was used again. Through the strong rust forming - the smokebox was not accesible from outside - the superheater was installed in all locomotives of type P4. The locomotives were going further as non-superheated steam engines. An advance was the new frame of this new steam engine. The power was doubled in comparison with the P3. The locomotives were able to pull a train of 400 ton with a speed of 100 km/h. The P4 was the last locomotive who was designed entirely by the Pfälzischen Eisenbahnen.
In 1904 came from the factories of Maffei in München the first German express train steam engine with a fixed frame, the S 2/5. With this locomotive started a trend deployed by constructor Anton Hammel to made locomotives to American models. The best construction with fixed frames was achieved with the bay. S 3/6 and the Bad IVh.
The S 2/5 is simultaneously developed as the S 3/5, so many parts are equivalent. The S 2/5 was meant for light express trains. The S 2/5 was capable to pull a train of 250 ton on flatlands with a speed of 110 km/h. The locomotives were equiped with driving wheels with a diameter of 2000 mm. The driving wheels and the carrying wheels were fixed in the frame. The locomotives were non-superheated steam engines with inner placed high pressure cylinders and outer placed low pressure cylinders.
The first 10 locomotives of type S 2/5 were put into service in 1904 from the Bw München I. The locomotives had pulled trains like the famous "Orient Express" and the "Nord-Süd-Express". At test runs locomotive 3007 reached a speed of 135 km/h. But in the day-to-day operation Bavarian had too little flatlands for a profitable use of this locomotive. In 1911 the locomotives were handed over to the railways in Pflaz.
In service with the DRG
The DRG took over 5 locomotives P3, they did not took over more locomotives, due to the high operation costs of the P3. The locomotives entered service with the numbers: 14 101 up to 14 105. The locomotives were set aside in 1926.
The P4 was entering service at the DRG with the following numbers: 14 151 up to 161. The P4 was set aside in 1925.
The DRG took over 5 locomotives of type S 2/5. These got the numbers: 14 141 up to 14 145.
|Diameter driving wheels: