The Prussian navy harbor Wilhemshaven located near the North Sea was via track from Prussian only accessible via the line Bremerhaven-Oldenburg-Wilhelmshaven. This line was the only mainline of the Oldenburg State Railways. The Oldenburg railways had for express trains only steam engines of Prussian type, like the S3 and S5.2. Because of the rising of the number of trains on this line there was need for faster and more powerful express train locomotives. Becaused the Prussian locomotives were too heavy for this line, the Oldenburg Railways had to order locomotives themselves.
They ordered at Hanomag three superheated express train locomotives which were capable of pulling a train of 300 t with a speed of 100 km/h on a flatland. The locomotives had the unusual axle layout of 1'C1'. They were deliverd in 1917 and were equiped with a Lentz valve control. The three steam engines got the names: BERLIN, MUNCHEN and DRESDEN.
When after the first world war the maximum axle load was risen to 17 t on the Oldenburg mainline, and the Bw Oldenburg got in 1921 the Prussian P8, the Oldenburg railways lost interest in the S10.
The DRG took over all the steam engines and gave them the indication BR 16.0 with the numbers: 16 001 up to 16 003, but these locomotives were set aside in 1926.
|Diameter driving wheels:
|Diameter carrying wheels:
||110 cm/110 cm
|Lengte over de buffers (met tender old. 2'2'T20):