The class C steam locomotives of the Württembergischen Staatseisenbahnen (K.W.St.E) is well-known under the name "Schöne Württembergerin". The class C was certainly one of the most succesful constructions. The young, but not very powerful locomotive collection of the K.W.St.E. had need strengthening after the turn of the century. The 6 km long Geislinger Steige in Württemberg with it's hillsides of 23‰ were too much for the locomotives of types AD, ADh and E.
The locomotive factory Esslingen got in 1908 the order to made a 2'C1' steam locomotive with a four cylinder transmission. The locomotive must be able to pull a train of 350 ton on flatland with a speed of 100 km/h. At the begin of 1909, the first five locomotives of class C were delivered. The new locomotives had in every respect an unique construction. Once delivered, the class C was sufficient enough to pass each test. For example, the locomotive could pull a train of 478 ton on a hillside of 4‰ with a speed of 90 km/h. The original tender wü. 2'2' T 20 was replaced at the end of Landerbahn era for a tender of type pr. 2'2' T 31,5.
Because of the water supply of 30 m3 and a supply of 10 ton of coals, the locomotives were suitable for very long trips. Due to the increased length, a couple of turntables had to be modified. After 1921, three of the 41 built locomotives were going the France and one to Poland.
In total, the Maschinenfabrik Esslingen made 41 locomotives between 1909 and 1921. The express train locomotives of class C belonged to one of the most beautiful and best locomotives built ever of this type. In spite of that the locomotive on grounds of dimensions belonged to the smallest 2'C1' locomotives, it was a very powerful and economical locomotive.
In service at the DRG
The DRG took over 37 steam locomotives of class C and these were entering service as BR 18.1 with the following numbers: 18 101 up to 18 137. The locomotives of type 18.1 had always had their service in Württemberg except during the first world war.
In service at the DB
After the second world war all locomotives that were in good condition were entering service again for the DB. The locomotives were stationed in Bw Ulm. Several locomotives were moved to Heilbronn when the locomotives of type BR 03 and S 3/6 were stationed in Ulm. In 1955 the last locomotives (18 136 and the 18 133) were set aside.
|Diameter loopwielen (voor/achter):
||100 cm/125 cm
Lengte over de buffers
(met tender wü. 2'2'T31,5):