dbtrains.com | about | contact | search | faq | sitemap | newsletter
 
 

E 18


At the end of the second world war there was not so much left of the E 18 locomotives. Half of the locomotives was medium to heavy damaged. See also the overview of all E 18 locomotives for precise locations and conditions after the second world war (Overview of class E 18 locomotives after WO II).

The locomotives E 18 04, 09, 15, 23, 31, 33, 052 were set aside at the end of the war.

Eight locomotives were located at the end of war in the Sovjet occupied zone. The E 18 19, 40 and 43 were standing at AEG for reparations. The E 18 24 and 048 got an inspection in the RAW Dessau, and the E 18 28, 34 and 44 were standing in the Bw Leipzig West. The former Deutsche Reichsbahn in the western zones was hoping to get back these locomotives and continued to keep the locomotives in their administration. But when it was clear that the locomotives didn't returned they removed the locomotives E 18 19, 40, 43 and the E 18 24 and 048 from the administration on 7 September 1945. The E 18 28, 34 and 44 were coming back later to the DB with an exchange with the DR from the DDR.

The locomotives E 18 42 and E 18 046 were standing after the war in Austria and remained their. The locomotives were annexed by the Austria Railways (ÖBB).

From all E 18 locomotives they choose the least damaged locomotives and these were repaired. The locomotives which were irreparable damaged were set aside and were used for some time for spare parts.

The heavily damaged E 18 01 (1-7-1946) and E 18 03 (7-4-1948) and E 18 07 (17-11-1945) were after all also set aside. Exceptionally was the rebuilding of the E 18 053. This locomotives was not so much damage, but the locomotive was completly rebuilt in the RAW Esslingen, and taken into service on 14 September 1945 from the Bw Stuttgart.

The locomotives E 18 10, 38 and 050 were set aside but were after all repaired in 1949 and 1950. The locomotives were in service from the Bw Nürnberg.

The locomotives changed many times of maintenance facilities in the years after the war. In the winter of 1948/49 the following E 18 locomotives were in service in Western Germany:

  • Bw München: E 18 02, 06, 08, 14, 16, 17, 18, 20, 21, 22, 30, 045
  • Bw Nürnberg: E 18 10, 11, 13, 29, 36, 38, 39, 047, 050
  • Bw Regensburg: E 18 25, 26, 27, 049, 050
  • Bw Augsburg: E 18 05, 37, 051
  • Bw Stuttgart: E 18 12, 32, 35, 41, 053

Also in the years after the war in epoch III the locomotives were mainly put in service in the long-distance trains. The timetable was made in a way that only a few express trains between München and Stuttgart and Nürnberg were pulled by an E 18 locomotive. The locomotives were also in service in some local trains. For example: the E 18 locomotives were in service on the relation München-Herrsching and München-Kochel. When the top speed of express trains was risen to 110 km/h the E 18 had more services in express trains and less in local trains. Now and then the locomotives were in service on the relation München-Salzburg and on the relation to Kufstein. But mostly locomotives of class E 16 were in service on these relations. The trains on the line München and Regensburg were pulled by E 18 locomotives from Bw Regensburg.

In the summer of 1950 the services of E 18 locomotives from Bw Augsburg ended. This was because the locomotives were more efficient when they were taken into service from other maintenance facilities. In May 1950 the E 18 37 was going to Nürnberg, at the end of June 1950 the E 18 501 was going to Regensburg and the E 18 05 was also going to Regensburg. The years coming nothing changed in the stationing of E 18 locomotives. In May 1953 the E 18 11 moved from Nürnberg to Stuttgart, and in October 1953 the E 18 050 moved from Regensburg to Stuttgart.

Due to the risen need of electrical express train locomotives the DB decided in 1951 to repair and rebuilt the E 18 03. As last E 18 locomotive which was repaired this locomotive was put into service on 14 December 1951 from the Bw Stuttgart.

Because of the increasing growth of the railways in the beginning of the fifties there was a shortage of electrical locomotives. The construction of new locomotives was still in a design stage. Therefore the DB seized the opportunity of an offer of the DR from the DDR to deliver five old E 18 locomotives and a couple of E 94 freight locomotives. The locomotives were exchanged for steam engine parts. By act of the DDR railway department, the following locomotives were delivered on 22 September 1953: E 18 28, 34, 44, 048 as well as a couple of E 94 locomotives. On 6 October the E 18 24 followed. All five E 18 locomotives were brought to the AW München-Freimann and the PAW Krauss-Maffei and were rebuilt and stationed in the Bw Stuttgart and Bw Nürnberg.

The "new" locomotives were located in the following Bw's:

  • E 18 24 Bw Stuttgart
  • E 18 28 Bw Stuttgart
  • E 18 34 Bw Stuttgart
  • E 18 44 Bw Nürnberg
  • E 18 048 Bw Stuttgart

On 2 October 1954 the electrifying of the line between Nürnberg and Würzburg was a fact. The E 18 locomotives were going to pull the trains on this line. Because of that the E 18 13 went in November 1954 to the Bw Würzburg for trainings of the train drivers. But on 5 February 1955 the locomotive returned again to the Bw Nürnberg. Later on the Bw Würzburg began to play again a leading role for E 18 locomotives. An interesting detail is that the E 18 047 was the first electrical locomotives which reached on own power the station of Würzburg with a measuring train on 24 September 1954.

But the five E 18 locomotives from the DR were not the last "new" E 18 locomotives! In 1954 AEG and Krupp offered the DB to build two new E 18 locomotives from parts. The DB, which was also doing tests at that moment with the new E 10 electrical locomotives, decided to order these two extra E 18 locomotives. On 13 December 1954 the E 18 054 was taken into service and on 7 March 1955 the E 18 055. After a couple of testruns, where the locomotives performed very good, both locomotives were handed over to the Bw München Hbf. Now there were 41 locomotives of class E 18 in service mainly in Southern Germany. The locomotives were divided over the following maintenance facilities at the end of 1955:

  • Bw München: E 18 02, 06, 08, 14, 16, 17, 18, 20, 21, 22, 30, 045, 054, 055
  • Bw Nürnberg: E 18 13, 29, 36, 37, 38, 39, 44, 047
  • Bw Stuttgart: E 18 03, 10, 11, 12, 24, 28, 32, 34, 35, 41, 048, 050, 053
  • Bw Regensburg: E 18 05, 25, 26, 27, 049, 051

In the first half of the fifties the E 18 was the star of the DB. The lines were the locomotives were in service changed constantly because of the continuing electrifying of railway lines that time. On 15 May 1950 the line between Regensburg and Nürnberg was electrified and on 8 October 1950 the line to Coburg and from Stuttgart to Ludwigshafen and Bietigheim was electrified. From 10 November 1950 electrical locomotives were coming to Probstzella. The locomotives from München were mainly pulling trains to Nürnberg and Stuttgart. The locomotives from Stuttgart had their service on the relation Stuttgart-München. The E 18 locomotives pulled on this line the F 3/4 Merkur and the F 23/24 Schwabenpfeil.

This second time of flourish of the E 18 was very short. From 1957 the new E 10 pushed away the E 18 from the express train services. In Stuttgart, Heidelberg and Offenburg were soon enough E 10 locomotives in service to replace the E 18 locomotives. Because of that from 1958 the Bw Stuttgart reduced the number of E 18 locomotives in Stuttgart. On 25 January 1958 the E 18 34 and 35 moved to the Bw Nürnberg, and in February the E 18 28 and 41 moved to Franken and the E 18 050 moved to the Bw Regensburg. A month later the E 18 048 moved to Nürnberg.

In May 1958 the E 18 12 was also going to Nürnberg and in July 1958 the E 18 24 went to München. In October the E 18 03, 10, 11 and 053 were going from Stuttgart to Regensburg. Only the E 18 32 stayed in Stuttgart as stand in locomotive for the class E 10. At the begin of April 1959 also this locomotive went to the Bw Nürnberg. On 31 December 1959 the following E 18 locomotives were devided among the maintenance facilities:

  • Bw München: E 18 02, 06, 08, 14, 16, 17, 18, 20, 21, 22, 24, 30, 045, 054, 055
  • Bw Nürnberg: E 18 12, 13, 28, 29, 32, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 41, 44, 047, 048
  • Bw Regensburg: E 18 03, 05, 10, 11, 25, 26, 27, 049, 050, 051, 053

In the sixties the E 18 locomotives were concentrated mainly in the region of Bavarian where they were in service on all electrified lines. From 1959 the locomotives had also service on the relation Regensburg to Passau. The locomotives from the Bw's Nürnberg and Regensburg pulled mostly all express trains between Würzburg and Passau. Now and then the E 18 came to Frankfurt/M. And with the services in the Touropa trains the E 18 was also coming to the Ruhr area in 1958.

In the meantime nothing changed in the stationing of the locomotives. Only the E 18 10 moved in May 1960 to Regensburg and the E 18 12 a year later from Nürnberg to München.

At the beginning of the sixties the services of the locomotives changed in Bavarian. New E 10 locomotives were now also stationed in the Bw's of Nürnberg and München. The E 18 locomotives were more and more in service in local trains now. But they were also in service on the new electrified line between Ingolstadt and Treuchtlingen.

With the summer timetable of 1962, 8 E 18 locomotives were redundant. The DB looked for new areas for these 8 locomotives and they found the line München-Salzburg suitable for these locomotives. Until then only locomotives of class E 16 pulled the trains on this line. Now the E 18 locomotives pulled all express trains between Salzburg and Kufstein. At the same time the E 18 02, 06, 08, 14, 16, 17, 18, 21 were stationed in the Bw Freilassing. The rest of the E 18 locomotives were in service on the relations from München to Nürnberg, Regensburg, Garmisch and Salzburg. The E 18 also pulled the F 55 Blauer Enzian until the train was pulled by new E 03 locomotives.

On 25 May 1963 the E 18 28 moved from Nürnberg to Regensburg. In June 1964 the E 18 13 moved to Freilassing.

On 31 December 1964 the E 18 locomotives were divided among the following Bw's:

  • Bw München: E 18 10, 20, 22, 24, 30, 045, 054, 055
  • Bw Nürnberg: E 18 29, 32, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 41, 44, 047, 048
  • Bw Regensburg: E 18 03, 05, 11, 25, 26, 27, 28, 049, 050, 051, 053
  • Bw Freilassing: E 18 02, 06, 08, 12, 13, 14, 16, 17, 18, 21

In April 1965 locomotive E 18 06 was heavily damaged at an accident. The locomotive was transported to the AW München-Freimann. In spite of the heavy damage, the DB decided to repair this locomotive. On 16 March 1966 the reparations were finished and the locomotive was stationed in the Bw Freilassing.

With the summer timetable of 1965 it was possible that locomotives of the DB and the ÖBB were riding between Frankfurt and Nürnberg and Wien without stopping at the borders. Also the E 18 profited from this with the services of train D 356/358 between Würzburg and Wien Westbf. Here the locomotives had their longest runs after world war two.

From the summer timetable of 1966 the E 18 locomotives from München were only running in services of four days. From 24 June 1966 the stationing of the E 18 locomotives at München ended and the remaining locomotives moved to the Bw Freilassing. There the last E 16 locomotives were replaced by these E 18 locomotives in the services between München and Salzburg/Kufstein.

All remaining locomotives were renumbered in 1968 to class 118. The following locomotives were renumbered, the last two digits are the old numbers:

  • Bw Nürnberg: 118 029, 032, 034, 035, 036, 037, 038, 039, 041, 044, 047, 048
  • Bw Regensburg: 118 003, 005, 011, 025, 026, 027, 028, 049, 050, 051, 053
  • Bw Freilassing: 118 002, 006, 008, 010, 012, 013, 014, 016, 017, 018, 020, 021, 022, 024, 030, 045, 054, 055

On 28 September 1968 the E 18 locomotives from Freilassing had their last service from Freilassing with train E 1303 and train E 608 (both eilzüge), both trains were headed to Stuttgart. On the journey back the locomotives were running in combination with an E 10 locomotive in the trains D 530 and D 547 to München. The locomotives from Nürnberg were in the summer of 1969 mainly in service on the relation Nürnberg/Würzburg-München and to Frankfurt.

Axle layout 1'Do1'
In service: 1935-1940
Diameter driving wheels: 160 cm
Diameter carrying wheels (front/rear): 100 cm/100 cm
Length: 16,92 m
Top speed: 150 km/h
Number of motors: 4
Power: 3040 kW at 117,0 km/h
Torque: 206 kN
Tension: 15 kV ~/16 2/3 Hz
Weight: 108,5 t