The E 21 express train locomotive was ordered as testlocomotive for the E 17. The E 21, built and delivered by AEG, existed actually of two locomotives. The first, the E 21 01 was delivered in Oktober 1926 to the Bw Leizpig Hbf West. The testruns, which followed were free from problems. In April 1927 the E 21 01 had some testruns in the hilly region near Lauban. At the end of 1927 the E 21 01 was brought into service. In May 1928, the second locomotive was delivered by AEG, the E 21 02. Both locomotives were equiped with Federtopf drive.
As a result of the positive experiences with the E 21, the DRG ordered 38 locomotives E 17. Both E 21 locomotives stayed until 1945 in Hirschberg and had their service in the passenger services, mainly on the lines Görlitz-Breslau Freib Bf. In Februar 1945 both locomotives were moved to Bw Leipzig Hbf West. They were not anymore brought into service until they were took away by the Russians to the Sovjet Union in 1946.
In service at the Deutsche Reichsbahn
In Oktober 1952 both locomotives returned back from the Sovjet Union. The locomotives were put into service back in 1959/60. They had as maintenance facilities Bw Leipzig Hbf West. Because the locomotives were very sensitive for failures they were set aside in 1961 and 1962 and demolished in 1966.
|Diameter driving wheels:
|Diameter carrying wheels:
||100 cm/100 cm
||2840 kW @ 88,0 km/h
||15 kV ~/16 2/3 Hz